It’s always fun to learn how to make something that is both simple and a staple to our everyday lives, usually we think of bread but today we’re making butter! I know, it sounds like a longwinded and complicated process but all you need is two ingredients, a stand mixer/ blender/ food processor or jar (if you’re feeling brave), and only 30 mins! I know this first attempt isn’t perfect but it’s definitely come together like butter and I've been using it on toast and not really noticed any difference apart from the fact it tastes a bit fresher because of the cream, I’ve made a small video to watch the process, but it's so simple that I don't think you need much more than this video but I’ll leave the ingredients and full written recipe below!
- Pour all your cream into the mixer and set it to a low/medium speed until your cream whips up into thick and stiff whipped cream.
- Once it's whipped, keep whisking for another 3-5 mins until your cream has a “curd” look and you can pick it up in bits.
- Now, you should be able to tip it into a sieve as large solid-ish blobs, run your ice water a few tbsp at a time through the cream to solidify it further until the water is less cloudy, and the cream looks like soft butter.
- Keep running the water through the butter until the water runs clear out the sieve and you end up with a big dough-like mass.
- Tip this mass into a clean and dry tea towel then twist and wring out the tea towel, squeezing out the last of the water from your butter. If you want to keep the water you can, this is buttermilk and can be used in lots of dishes! Now you’ll have solid lumps of butter that can be pushed into a butter shape for ease of use or just pressed into a box and kept in the fridge for up to 5 days!