We’re back again going around the world through food and this time we’re heading off to Indonesia! I’ve been seeing a huge amount of views coming in from Indonesia so I just wanted to say thank you and making this Pie Susu Bali is my way of doing that…so I hope I do it justice! I wanted to find an Indonesian recipe that didn't use too many hard-to-find ingredients (I’m not able to find pandan leaves in my local shop) but one that was still traditional to the country and culture and this custard tart seemed the best fit! It uses very simple ingredients and it's also really simple to make too! I’ve made a video putting it together so you can see each step but I’ll leave the full recipe down below as well.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/ 150 Fan/ Gas Mark 3 and grease a tart tin or high-edged small cake tin.
- To start with, we’re going to make the crust. This is very straightforward, you could put the ingredients in a food processor but I just put all the crust ingredients into a bowl and used a wooden spoon to mix them together until you have a soft pastry ball. The pastry will be soft and should come together in your hands and it won't be sticky so there's no need for oil or extra flour.
- Take half the pastry and begin to push it around the greased tart tin until it's around 1/2 a cm thick, using the other half of the pastry, push this around the sides to make the sides of your tart crust, make sure the two halves meet and push them together so they join and don’t split when baking.
- Once your crust is ready in the tin, smooth it over with the back of a spoon and use a fork to prick the pastry (this will allow it to cook evenly), then set aside.
- Now it’s on to the filling! Put all the filling ingredients into a bowl and whisk until it's come together into a golden-coloured mix. Pour this through a sieve at least two times to make sure it’s a smooth as possible then pour this into your tart crust, don’t let it overflow!
- Bake in the oven until the filling is just set and the crust is golden brown and crispy.
- Leave to cool for 20 mins before taking out of the tin and enjoy!