It took me so long to decide what we should make for the next recipe in our World Series. I looked up the countries on offer and they were Jamaica, Japan and Jordan…not too much choice but obviously each one of the countries has completely different dishes and cultures so in a way, a lot to choose from. I instinctively researched Japan but although the recipes were amazing, I don’t have the right ingredients to do justice on the dishes and I don’t have the money to go out and buy these ingredients just to use small amounts so I moved on to Jamaica, again, I instinctively went for the most popular; the Jamaican pattie but I thought it might be a bit too similar to the Cornish pasties I’ve made before (hindsight is a wonderful thing…should have just stuck to the patties) so I tried making these Caribbean Johnny Cakes instead, which are essentially breakfast rolls/bread but they’re deep-fried for a crispier texture and lighter flavour so you can make it all about the filling.
- To make our dough we want to combine all the dough ingredients in a small bowl and mix them together with a wooden spoon until you have loose clumps of dough (I’ve doubled the amount of milk in this recipe because mine was far too dry).
- Once your dough has come together, gently knead it in the bowl until you have one solid dough ball. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let this rest for 30 mins. It should loosen up in this time and be more pliable as my dough was very stiff before resting.
- Now the dough is rested, divide it into 4 equal patties, these should be flat and round but we still want them to be about an inch thick so they keep together in the fryer.
- Heat some oil up on medium heat in a frying pan. You’re gonna need to fill the frying pan up to about an inch thick with oil so we can shallow fry the dough. Once your oil has been heating for 3-4 mins, turn it down as low as it will go and add in your patties!
- Fry the patties for 4-5 mins on each side until they’re beautifully golden brown, then set them down on a tea towel to drain the grease.
- Whilst the patties are cooling, we can make our omelettes! Heat up a frying pan on medium heat with a tsp of oil then crack 2 eggs into a small bowl, sprinkle in some salt and pepper and whisk until fully combined. Tip the egg into the frying pan making sure it coats the entire bottom of the pan and leave to cook for 2-3 mins.
- Once there is a thin layer of uncooked egg on the top of the omelette, sprinkle your cheese on top, leave it to melt for another couple of minutes before folding it into quarters in the pan and sandwiching the omelette between two of your Johnny Cakes.
- Repeat the process with two more eggs and our remaining Johnny Cakes, then you’re ready to eat!